Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Day Before Takeoff

 It's May 23rd, the day before takeoff.

When I brought the idea of this adventure to my wife Linda four months ago, it sounded all so exciting! How cool would it be to finally realize this dream I had so many years ago?

I spent the following four months working on the plane to get it as perfect as possible. I bought ultra-light weight backpacking-style camping gear. I planned and studied and obsessed.

However, in the last few days this excitement has been replaced with something else. The realization that I am actually doing this has sunk in. It's not something that is happening in the future. It's happening tomorrow.

Today I seem to be having a lot of emotions and doubts. The biggest one is anxiousness. Not necessarily the good kind. I am so used to my daily life - my comfortable chair, my own bed, my daily routine. This routine is comfortable and safe and easy. As I have gotten older these things seem to take on a greater importance. I'm not sure why.

I am also feeling melancholy about leaving Linda. She is my best friend, my partner in life. I spend all day, every day, with her and its still not enough. I miss her already, even though I haven't left yet.

Do I really want to go on the adventure without my love of my life? How can I enjoy myself without her to share the experience? This is a very real concern. 

I've told Linda there are two things for sure that can cause me to turn around and come home. The first is that I can't keep my pain under control. The second is deciding I just don't want the adventure if she's not in it.

The first leg of my flight is, honestly, the one I have been most concerned about. It is the flight from Pine Mountain Lake to Kingman Arizona. 

Leg 1 - Pine Mountain Lake (E45) to Kingman (KIGM)

The concern with Leg 1 is the winds in the Mojave Desert, and at my destination, Kingman. For the past week they have been unflyable. The winds and turbulence was well beyond my comfort level - 26 knots gusting to over 40 knots.  

A few years ago Linda and I found ourselves transiting the Mojave desert in the Cessna Cardinal we were partners in. I decided to stop at Mojave Air and Space Port to hopefully get a peek at the Stratolaunch aircraft. Big mistake. The wind was so bad I could not take off again. For the next two days the wind did not die down and we spent a lifetime sitting in the small pilot's lounge. There is nothing to do in Mojave if you're not flying, so it was a very long couple of days.

However, the winds are forecast to die down starting this afternoon. The weather for tomorrow will be about as perfect as I could hope for. 

Monday's weather at Kingman - Sunny, winds 7 gusting to 13

The plane is packed, fueled, and ready to go. The only thing I have left to do is throw my two backpacks into it.

Now I just need to remember that this is supposed to be a fun adventure and I should be enjoying myself. Hopefully, once I am in the air all this anxiousness and uncertainty will fade away. I'll post again tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Here is the link to my Spot X gps tracking which tracks the plane:

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/JT4J

N972GL and Willy (I will miss him too!)

 



1 comment:

  1. So cool. Now you know how Lindbergh felt (the night before).

    ReplyDelete

Leg 16 - Evanston Wy (EVW) to Pine Mountain Lake CA Home (E45)

My flight plan for the day was to depart Evanston and hopefully make it to Fallon Nevada (FLX). It was an ambitious flight for me, almost fi...