Friday, May 28, 2021

Day 5 - Grounded Due to Weather

 Weather sucks. And why have we not had an inch of rain in Central California in 6 months or more - and South Texas is about to float away?

The ceilings between Junction and West Houston today were ranging between 1200 and 1500 feet. The reported visibility was showing 6 to 10 miles. The forecast called for occasional thunderstorms. The Leidos Flight Service briefing was suggesting a possible four hour window in the early afternoon. 

What I'm still trying to understand is why I even considered flying today? I mean I really thought about going. It was a stupid idea and I promised myself, and Linda, that I would not fly beyond my personal minimums. One of these included not flying if there was an overcast or broken ceiling below 3000 feet. Today's weather was well below that. 

I need to remember this so I don't even consider exceeding my personal minimums again.

The weather tomorrow is going to be worse so I get an extended vacation in not-so-beautiful Junction, Texas. Sunday the skies I are supposed to clear. In the meantime I'll be boring myself to death in the local Best Western.

Good news, Dallas said I could keep the cop vehicle until Sunday. Too bad there is no where to go, and nothing to see.

On Sunday I will finally get to see my nephew Denny and his family. I haven't seen them in many years. In fact, I haven't made any effort to stay in touch. Hopefully it's not too late to let them know that I care about them. And to try and be a better uncle. This has bothered me for many years, yet for some reason I chose to do nothing about it. I'm an idiot.

As I have been writing this the mother-of-all thunderstorms has started raging outside. It's the loudest thunder I've ever heard. I took a quick run out to check the tie-down on the plane and snapped this picture.

I probably won't post an update until next Monday or Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. I’ve enjoyed reading your adventure. It’s great you’ll be visiting your nephew. Don’t beat yourself up about the past. Reaching out now shows you still care.

    Also, not sure if your flight path takes you anywhere near Lebanon, Ohio ( between Cincinnati and Dayton) but if so, I could offer you a free nights stay and home cooked meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reviewed your intended flight path and realized you’ll be too far north to take me up on my offer. I do with you Godspeed and safe travels. Your description of the conditions between Sedona and Phoenix had me scared for you, even though I rationally knew the account was after-the-fact

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bro, it's your sister Sue. (Sorry I am using Frank's notebook to post. Too hard on my phone)
    Glad you made the right decision to stay put and be safe
    Give everyone in Houston a hug from me too.

    ReplyDelete

Leg 16 - Evanston Wy (EVW) to Pine Mountain Lake CA Home (E45)

My flight plan for the day was to depart Evanston and hopefully make it to Fallon Nevada (FLX). It was an ambitious flight for me, almost fi...