Monday, June 14, 2021

Leg 14 - Boulder (BDU) to Rawlins Wy (RWL) - Into the Rocky Mountains

 There has been one part of this trip that has concerned me the most.  That is crossing the massive Rocky Mountain range. I've never seen it before so all I know is the pictures of massive mountains and narrow valleys, both of which are not friendly to small planes.

My original plan had been to make the crossing, along highway 80 through Wyoming, in one four-hour leg. There were two problems with this plan. 

The first was that over a 4 hour period there was a potential for the weather to change drastically by the time I reached the most narrow part of the passage. 

The second concern was that I would need to stop for fuel in between. This caused a problem because both of the intermediate airports were very high elevations over, 7000 feet. The high altitude and high air temperature combined, with the fully loaded plane, could mean that I might not be able to take off at all due to the reduced performance. 

Aircraft performance is significantly affected by both altitude and air temperature. Later in the day the higher air temperature may mean that I could not take off safely.

The night before the flight I made the decision to simplify crossing the mountain range.

 The new plan was to make a two hour flight from Denver to Rawlins, Wyoming. I would spend the night there. Then I would be able to make the next leg by taking off very early in the morning, before the heat and the wind could complicate the passage.

So today I made the first leg. And what a beautiful flight! My son Josh drove me to the airport and, after a sad goodbye I launched into clear and calm sky.

Climbing out from Boulder Airport into clear and calm skies

First I flew along the eastern slope of the Rocky Mountains north of Denver up to Cheyenne, Wyoming. From there I turned left towards Rawlins while keeping Highway 80 just off the left wing. It was two lanes in each direction and would be my emergency landing option should I have the need.

Flying the leeward side of the Rockies north of Denver

In this area the terrain is fairly flat. It is also expansive and dramatic. It was about this time something in my feeble brain registered an anomaly. I am flying over flat country, no hills or mountains. It was very strange to look at the altimeter and see 9000 feet above sea level and then look down and realize I was less than 1000 feet above Highway 80! For someone who mostly flies in central California, 9000 feet puts you way the hell up there! To be this "high" and be so close to level ground was a weird sensation.

9000 feet above sea level. 1000 feet above the ground. And it's flat!

Flying along Highway 80 on the way to Rawlins

In a short time the isolated town of Rawlins came into view and I made a decent landing on runway 22.

I opened the canopy and climbed out. Mike, the FBO guy, walked up to me and said, "Hi, Gary. Chad told me to say hello." I just stared at him as my mind tried to process something that made absolutely no sense.

This was, literally, the first time I have ever set foot in Wyoming. Also, no one knew I would be landing here today. And no one in Wyoming new my name. And that's not all. I don't know anyone named "Chad".

"Dude, you've got my confused with another Gary," says I. 

Before he could answer some guy sitting on the skids of a helicopter in the background yells, "Hi Gary!"

Da hell???

I also don't know any helicopter pilots.

There were two of them hanging out of a badass helicopter and grinning from ear to ear at me.

I'm starting to feel like I've entered an alternate universe. 

"Who ARE you?" I asked, staring at two guys who looked like Hollywood movie stars.

"It's Chad! Don't you remember me? You're from Groveland," he implores.

Now I'm feeling awkward. He even knows where I live. I'm getting older and I do forgot a lot of stuff.

"UHH, no."

"You remember - from the strip club!" he says. Both of them are still grinning from ear to ear like a pair of idiots.

Now I knew they were screwing with me somehow.

"I haven't been in a strip club since I was 18!" I exclaimed. "So how do you know my name?".

"Chad" explained he liked my plane and was curious about it.  So when I taxied by he quickly looked up the tail number on the FAA database and got my name and where I lived.

I started laughing. "That's a good one. You really got me."

It turns out they are contracted with the State of Wyoming as part of the fire watch. They become the controlling aircraft directing water bombers on larger fires and using their own water bucket on small fires. 

Chad really was interested in my plane and asked a lot of questions. Then they got a call and had to launch. Maverick and Goose climbed into their pretty bird chasing another fire. 

Maverick (Chad) and Goose (forgot his name) and their badass chopper

FYI - all helicopter pilots are smart-asses.

Once again I lucked out and got the use of the airport courtesy car. I drove to a nearby restaurant and had breakfast. While there I asked if there was any place to go swimming. It was in the 90's and I wanted to see a little more of this unusual Wyoming landscape. 

It turns out there was a crew car. I drove a few miles north through endless vistas of empty, wide open range country. 

Wide open range

I soon came across the North Platt River. No one was around and I didn't feel like sitting in wet shorts for a while so...

I dove in and took a few strokes. The water felt great. Until I realized there was a helluva current and I was now 20 yards downstream! After a brief moment of panic I started stroking like mad and managed to get to the shore. 

The water felt great

Afterwards I continued the northward drive to Seminoe Reservoir. Along the way I noticed a number of deer size animals. I had no idea what they were. Later I asked someone and found out they were antelope. Yes, I did feel stupid. I hate to say bad things about animals, but antelope are pretty ugly animals. At least these ones are. They have little moose heads.

This is apparently where the deer and ugly antelope play 

Seminoe Reservoir is massive and nearly deserted. Wyoming is truly a unique place and I can see why people love it. Except for the weather...

Seminoe Reservoir

Tomorrow comes the most concerning part of the whole trip. The flight through the narrow valley of the Rocky Mountains to Salt Lake City. 

2 comments:

  1. Just looked at the weather where you are now. Quite gusty! I can see why you might not have wanted to continue to Salt Lake City. If and when you fly over the Bonneville Salt Flats, could you take some photos for me? A handful of years ago I had this crazy notion to race a highly modified moped there during the motorcycle speed week.

    Stay safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doug. I will certainly be taking photos of the salt flats. I've been wanting to see them for years. Reach out to me at gaw.ebm@gmail.com , say this weekend after I've gotten home and distressed and I will be happy to send you the pics.

      Delete

Leg 16 - Evanston Wy (EVW) to Pine Mountain Lake CA Home (E45)

My flight plan for the day was to depart Evanston and hopefully make it to Fallon Nevada (FLX). It was an ambitious flight for me, almost fi...